Cabinet Secy reviews Uttarakhand ops
New Delhi: Cabinet Secretary Ajit Kumar Seth Thursday held a review meeting with top central and Uttarakhand government officials and issued directions to speed up rescue operations in the flood-ravaged state.
Seth also instructed BSNL to repair mobilephone towers in the state and restore telephony in the next few days.
A statement issued after the meeting said that coordinated efforts are being made to provide succour to the stranded pilgrims, tourists and locals by multiple agencies like Defence, ITBP, BRO, NDRF and state government departments.
"The government of India is supplementing the efforts of the state government for requirement of food, medicines and fuel, wherever required.
"39 helicopters from the Air Force and Army airlifted about 2,000 people despite cloudy weather. The airlifting operations will resume early tomorrow morning," the statement said.
"BSNL has been directed to immediately repair the telephone towers to restore communication in the next 2-3 days. About 8,000 tonnes of foodgrains are available with the state Government. Arrangements to ensure fuel availability have also been made," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday