Centre to assist Uttarakhand farmers under MNREGA
New Delhi: The Rural Development Ministry will provide all assistance to farmers in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand for restoration of their ponds and clearing fields.
The assurance was given by Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh to his Cabinet colleague and Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat who had sought assistance under MNREGA for the flood-hit agriculture sector in the hill state.
"You have asked for liberal assistance under MNREGA for repairing of drainage systems, creating new drainage systems, clearing farmer fields, restoration of local ponds and other such activities."
"All the activities that you have identified as priority are permissible under MNREGA and I am asking my officers to be in touch with Uttarakhand Government to get concrete proposals in this regard and have them implemented quickly," Ramesh said in his reply to Rawat, who wrote a letter seeking assistance.
In his letter to Ramesh, Rawat, a Congress leader from Uttarakhand, had said that farmers have lost their fields and ponds as they are covered with debris, sand and soil.
Days after the calamity, Ramesh had announced a separate Rs 340 crore special package for Uttarakhand for constructing village roads in the flood-ravaged hill state.
The Rural Development Minister had also said special assistance would be given to Uttarakhand for constructing village houses under its ambitious Indira Awas Yojana (IAY).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video