Centre to assist Uttarakhand farmers under MNREGA
New Delhi: The Rural Development Ministry will provide all assistance to farmers in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand for restoration of their ponds and clearing fields.
The assurance was given by Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh to his Cabinet colleague and Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat who had sought assistance under MNREGA for the flood-hit agriculture sector in the hill state.
"You have asked for liberal assistance under MNREGA for repairing of drainage systems, creating new drainage systems, clearing farmer fields, restoration of local ponds and other such activities."
"All the activities that you have identified as priority are permissible under MNREGA and I am asking my officers to be in touch with Uttarakhand Government to get concrete proposals in this regard and have them implemented quickly," Ramesh said in his reply to Rawat, who wrote a letter seeking assistance.
In his letter to Ramesh, Rawat, a Congress leader from Uttarakhand, had said that farmers have lost their fields and ponds as they are covered with debris, sand and soil.
Days after the calamity, Ramesh had announced a separate Rs 340 crore special package for Uttarakhand for constructing village roads in the flood-ravaged hill state.
The Rural Development Minister had also said special assistance would be given to Uttarakhand for constructing village houses under its ambitious Indira Awas Yojana (IAY).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls