Chamoli: Trekkers from Ukraine, Russia interrogate
Dehra Dun: A trekking team from Ukraine and Russia was interrogated by the Chamoli police for allegedly using satellite phones in the prohibited border area.
Though all the documents of the six-member team have been found valid and no satellite phone has been recovered from them during checking, they were questioned to find out as to who used the satellite phone on the Pindari glacier trekking route to make an international call to Ukraine a week ago, Chamoli Superintendent of Police P Renuka Devi said.
The team was intercepted and picked up at Ban village near Roopkund area of Chamoli district yesterday.
When interrogated, they told the police that their three members have already left for their homes leaving the trekking midway, she said, adding, the police is trying to find out as to why three members left early and whether they had a satellite phone with them.
The police is also trying to find out whether there is also another foreign team trekking in the area. The use of satellite phone without permission is completely prohibited in the border area.
The police came into action after receiving the information from the Indian army in this regard a week ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video