Champion opened fire at minister`s residence: Kunjwal
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal today confirmed it was Congress MLA Kunwar Pranav Singh Champion who had opened fire during a party at the official residence of Minister Harak Singh Rawat here.
Champion, who represents Khanpur seat, began firing the moment he got down from his car, Kunjwal, who attended the party at Rawat`s residence, said and noted that people`s representatives should not behave like this.
"People`s representatives should restrain themselves and desist from such behaviour. I think what happened at the residence of the minister that night was unfortunate," Kunjwal told reporters in his chamber at the Vidhan Sabha.
Kunjwal`s statement becomes significant as police has registered a case against an unidentified person despite the name of Champion cropping up in connection with the incident which left two persons injured.
Vivekanand Khanduri, who is said to be close to Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, received injuries in both his feet in the incident and is recuperating in hospital. Congress worker from Haridwar Ravindra Saini also received minor injury in the incident.
Roorkee MLA Pradip Batra had earlier said the fire was opened by Champion, adding that he fired for fun and not with the intention to injure anyone.
Champion, a sports enthusiast and fitness freak, is said to be quite fond of guns. He infamously brandished guns after a rally addressed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at Roorkee in 2007. There are cases registered against him at police stations in Haridwar and nearby areas but no action was ever taken against him.
While opposition BJP has demanded a judicial inquiry into the firing incident, former Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank has demanded ouster of Harak Singh Rawat from the cabinet over the issue.
"Firing at a cabinet minister`s official residence in his presence is a serious matter. He should be dismissed from the cabinet on this ground," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked