Chardham yatra ends
Dehra Dun: The annual pilgrimage to Chardham in Uttarakhand ended on Thursday with the ceremonious closure of the portals of the high altitude Badrinath temple in the Himalayas for the winter season.
The main priest of the famed temple, perched at a dizzying 3133 metres in Garhwal Himalayas, locked the doors amid vedic rituals at 1555 hrs in the presence of senior administrative and police officials, said Anusuiya Prasad Bhatt, Chairman of Barinath-Kedarnath temple committee.
Thousands of pilgrims braved chilly conditions amid continuous snowfall to witness the closing ceremony, he said.
The Chardham yatra is a journey to four shrines, including Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath temples in Uttarakhand.
Considered the backbone of religious tourism in Uttarakhand, which attracts lakhs of pilgrims every year from the country and abroad.
The portals of Chardham remain closed from November to April as the area remains snow-bound during the winters.
All the four shrines would now reopen for pilgrims after a gap of six months in April-May next year.
While the portals of Kedarnath and Yamunotri were closed on November 7 on the occassion of Bhaiya Duj, Gangotri temple was
closed on Nov 6.
Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines are situated at a height of 3200 metres and 4421 metres respectively in Uttarkashi district and Kedarnath in Rudraprayag district at a height of 3581 metres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown