Cloud burst in Uttarakhand; Char Dham yatra hit
New Delhi: Cloud burst followed by a landslide left one person dead in Sehkot area of Chamoli district in Uttarakhand on Thursday.
The massive landslide also damaged a hotel and injured four other persons. Many other houses are reportedly damaged; official confirmation is awaited.
Meanwhile, another landslide in Pirahi in the same district has led to the temporary closure of the highway from Rishikesh to Kedarnath and Badrinath.
As the pilgrimage to the revered shrines Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, popularly known as the `Char Dham Yatra` is in full swing; the landslide has stranded thousands of pilgrims.
The six-month long pilgrimage season began from Yamunotri and Gangotri, they were opened on April 24. The shrine of Badrinath opened on April 28, while the shrine of Kedarnath opened the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured