Cloud burst in Uttarakhand; Char Dham yatra hit
New Delhi: Cloud burst followed by a landslide left one person dead in Sehkot area of Chamoli district in Uttarakhand on Thursday.
The massive landslide also damaged a hotel and injured four other persons. Many other houses are reportedly damaged; official confirmation is awaited.
Meanwhile, another landslide in Pirahi in the same district has led to the temporary closure of the highway from Rishikesh to Kedarnath and Badrinath.
As the pilgrimage to the revered shrines Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, popularly known as the `Char Dham Yatra` is in full swing; the landslide has stranded thousands of pilgrims.
The six-month long pilgrimage season began from Yamunotri and Gangotri, they were opened on April 24. The shrine of Badrinath opened on April 28, while the shrine of Kedarnath opened the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened