Cloud burst in Uttarakhand; Char Dham yatra hit
New Delhi: Cloud burst followed by a landslide left one person dead in Sehkot area of Chamoli district in Uttarakhand on Thursday.
The massive landslide also damaged a hotel and injured four other persons. Many other houses are reportedly damaged; official confirmation is awaited.
Meanwhile, another landslide in Pirahi in the same district has led to the temporary closure of the highway from Rishikesh to Kedarnath and Badrinath.
As the pilgrimage to the revered shrines Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, popularly known as the `Char Dham Yatra` is in full swing; the landslide has stranded thousands of pilgrims.
The six-month long pilgrimage season began from Yamunotri and Gangotri, they were opened on April 24. The shrine of Badrinath opened on April 28, while the shrine of Kedarnath opened the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II