Communal tension in Rudrapur town, one killed
Dehradun: Curfew was on Sunday imposed
in Rudrapur town in Udhamsinghnagar district after one person
was killed and several injured following an alleged act of
sacrilege which triggered clashes between two communities,
Several vehicles were torched and several shops gutted as
the two communities clashed in Rudrapur town, about 300 km
from here, Udhamsinghnagar SSP G S Martolia said.
Though unconfirmed reports point to the death of three
persons, Martolia refused to acknowledge it and affirmed the
death of one person. "We are verifying reports of other
persons being killed," he said.
Martolia said security has been increased with police
conducting patrols across the town. Fire brigade and police
personnel were pressed immediately after people pelted stones
and torched public property.
"The situation is still tense but under control and Rapid
Action Force (RAF) is being deployed in the area," he added.
Defence sources in Delhi said that IAF will be airlifting
RAF personnel from the national capital to Pantnagar to assist
police in maintaining law and order.
The injured were rushed to nearby hospitals where the
condition of two persons is stated to be serious.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri is closely
monitoring the situation and asked senior police officials to
take stern action against miscreants, a CM office spokesman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing