Communal tension in Rudrapur town, one killed
Dehradun: Curfew was on Sunday imposed
in Rudrapur town in Udhamsinghnagar district after one person
was killed and several injured following an alleged act of
sacrilege which triggered clashes between two communities,
Several vehicles were torched and several shops gutted as
the two communities clashed in Rudrapur town, about 300 km
from here, Udhamsinghnagar SSP G S Martolia said.
Though unconfirmed reports point to the death of three
persons, Martolia refused to acknowledge it and affirmed the
death of one person. "We are verifying reports of other
persons being killed," he said.
Martolia said security has been increased with police
conducting patrols across the town. Fire brigade and police
personnel were pressed immediately after people pelted stones
and torched public property.
"The situation is still tense but under control and Rapid
Action Force (RAF) is being deployed in the area," he added.
Defence sources in Delhi said that IAF will be airlifting
RAF personnel from the national capital to Pantnagar to assist
police in maintaining law and order.
The injured were rushed to nearby hospitals where the
condition of two persons is stated to be serious.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri is closely
monitoring the situation and asked senior police officials to
take stern action against miscreants, a CM office spokesman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs