Cong assails BJP govt of `saffronising` foodgrain scheme
Dehradun: Taking strong exception to
inauguration of a foodgrain scheme for the weaker sections by
BJP president Nitin Gadkari, Congress on Friday assailed the BJP
government in Uttarakhand for "saffronising" the welfare
programme for which food items is provided by the Centre.
"The BJP government in Uttrakhand is saffronising the
foodgrains scheme for which food items is provided by the
Central government by getting it inaugurated by BJP chief
Nitin Gadkari," Union Minister of State for Agriculture and
Food Processing Harish Rawat said in a statement.
The UPA government at the centre is providing
subsidised foodgrains for distribution among BPL and Antodya
families for weaker sections, he said.
Rawat, member of Lok Sabha from Hardwar in Uttrakhand,
asked Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyak Nishank to tell
masses the "truth" about the programme.
He also sought to know from him whether the scheme
launched today was different from the proposed Food Security
Act of the Union government.
On the invitation of the state government, Gadkari
today launched "Atal Khaddyanna Yojana" which envisages
providing wheat at the rate of Rs 2 per kg while rice at Rs. 3
The scheme would benefit around 30 lakh people in
Uttarakhand and has a potential to emerge as a "model" scheme
for other states, he said speaking on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan