Cong denies change of CM; assures Rawat his due
New Delhi: As the crisis persists in the
party`s Uttarkhand unit, Congress high command on Saturday assured
rebel leader Harish Rawat of giving him his due but ruled out
changing the Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
The name of Rawat`s wife Renuka is being considered among
a few others for Rajya Sabha nomination for the lone vacant
seat from the hill state, AICC general secretary Chaudhary
Birender Singh said.
He said the names of senior MLA Indira Hridayesh, former
MP Mahendra Pal and retiring member Satyavrat Chaturvedi are
also being considered for the seat.
Replying to questions, Singh made it clear that the high
command was not thinking of having any Deputy Chief Minister
in the state at present.
"The high command wants to give Rawat his due", but at
the same time said that Bahuguna was chosen CM after due
Singh made it clear that three issues were interlinked
including the election of Speaker on March 26, vote on account
on March 28 and election of the Rajya Sabha on March 30,
suggesting that the leadership has to devise a strategy taking
this into account.
Talking to reporters in Dehradun earlier in the day,
Bahuguna said that the "talks are on" to defuse the crisis in
the fledgling party-led government in Uttarakhand.
Efforts to bring the warring factions continue as faces
the daunting task of winning trust vote on the floor of the
state assembly in the wake of revolt against his leadership.
Harak Singh Rawat, an MLA and a close confidant of
sulking Union Minister Harish Rawat, an aspirant for the CM`s
post, denied media reports that he was being offered the post
of the Deputy Chief Minister. Yesterday, Bahuguna met Congress
chief Sonia Gandhi and said he was confident of resolving all
differences with Harish Rawat.
Fourteen party MLAs, said to be loyal to Harish Rawat
who revolted against the appointment of Bahuguna as CM, are
yet to take oath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees