Cong MLA booked for attempt to murder
Haridwar: Local Congress MLA Kunwar Pranav Singh, allegedly shot at a hotel owner after the latter expressed his inability to make available a room for his relative in Roorkee town, police said. The legislator has, however, denied the charge.
Hotel owner Dhruv Singh escaped unhurt in the incident, police said, adding a case has been filed against the MLA under IPC sections 307 (attempt to murder) and 506 (intimidation) by the police.
The incident occurred in the wee hours of yesterday, when the MLA, also known as "Champion", asked the manager of the hotel, where he was staying to open another room for his relative, police said.
The hotel manager told Pranav that all the rooms were already booked after, which the MLA lost his temper. Hotel owner Dhruv Singh tried to intervene but the legislator allegedly opened fire at him and left the hotel, they said, adding that the bullet pierced the wall and Singh escaped unhurt.
Investigations are on in the case and further action would be taken on the basis of the findings, Circle Officer of Roorkee Kamlesh Upadhyay said.
Pranav, an MLA from Luxor area in Haridwar district, denied the charges and alleged that he was being falsely implicated by the BJP government in Uttarakhand.
"I will soon meet the DGP and ask him to order an independent inquiry into the incident," the MLA, scion of the family, which ruled the erstwhile princely state of Landhora, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'