Cong MLA on hunger strike in assembly
Dehra Dun: Congress MLA Kishore Upadhyay
on Monday went on a hunger strike in the Uttarakhand assembly to
protest what he alleged state government`s callous attitude in
solving problems relating to his Tehri constituency.
Upadhyay, who sat in the well along with other party
MLAs, said his hunger strike would continue till the state
government fulfilled all his long-standing demands.
Setting up a university at Ranichauri in Tehri, opening
of schools, colleges and hospitals, developing infrastructural
facilities and starting water-tourism activities in the Tehri
dam lake are among 25 demands put up by the legislator.
Upadhayay alleged the state government had failed to
fulfil its promises to the people of Tehri who, he said, had
sacrificed their homes and lands for the construction of 2400
MW hydro-electric project.
Upadhyay had organised a musical rally on Sunday to
wake up the state government from what he said deep slumber.
The rally was attended by nearly all top party leaders
including Union Minister of State for Agriculture Harish Rawat
besides Congress workers.
In the previous assembly session, Upadhyay had staged
a sit-in in support of his demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video