Cong MLA on hunger strike in assembly
Dehra Dun: Congress MLA Kishore Upadhyay
on Monday went on a hunger strike in the Uttarakhand assembly to
protest what he alleged state government`s callous attitude in
solving problems relating to his Tehri constituency.
Upadhyay, who sat in the well along with other party
MLAs, said his hunger strike would continue till the state
government fulfilled all his long-standing demands.
Setting up a university at Ranichauri in Tehri, opening
of schools, colleges and hospitals, developing infrastructural
facilities and starting water-tourism activities in the Tehri
dam lake are among 25 demands put up by the legislator.
Upadhayay alleged the state government had failed to
fulfil its promises to the people of Tehri who, he said, had
sacrificed their homes and lands for the construction of 2400
MW hydro-electric project.
Upadhyay had organised a musical rally on Sunday to
wake up the state government from what he said deep slumber.
The rally was attended by nearly all top party leaders
including Union Minister of State for Agriculture Harish Rawat
besides Congress workers.
In the previous assembly session, Upadhyay had staged
a sit-in in support of his demands.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark