Congress demands Nishank`s resignation
Dehra Dun: A day after Uttarakhand government recommended a CBI inquiry into the death of Swami Nigamanand, Congress Thursday demanded resignation from Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank alleging that the seer died due to negligence of the state government.
"The death of Nigamanand due to lack of proper medical care clearly shows that the BJP government has completely failed to discharge its duty," spokesman of Uttarakhand
Congress Legislature Party Kishore Upadhyay said.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank should immediately resign from the post," he added.
Uttarakhand government yesterday recommended a CBI probe into the matter as pressure mounted on it from various quarters including Governor Margaret Alva who advised
the state government to go for an independent probe.
Swami Nigamanand, who was fasting for nearly four months demanding an immediate stopping of quarrying in Ganga, had died in a hospital near here on Jun 13.
On the allegations of state government that Congress is just politicising the issue and no Congress leader had gone to see Swami Nigamanand when he was on fast in the hospital,
Upadhyay said he had not only visited the Himalayan hospital when he was in coma but also tried to apprise the Chief Minister of his "critical" condition.
"When I was told by the hospital that Nigamanand`s condition was critical, I tried to approach the CM but did not succeed," said Upadhyay, an MLA from Tehri.
The Congress leader also alleged that proper medical care was not provided to Nigamanand as the state government is under pressure of quarrying mafia.
Upadhyay claimed that he and Union Minister of state for Agriculture Harish Rawat wrote a letter to Chief Minister that Nigamanand should be shifted to AIIMS in New Delhi but no
attention was given to their concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more