Day after Rahul`s visit, Uttarakhand PCC expels three members
Dehradun: A day after Rahul Gandhi visited Uttarakhand to take stock of party affairs, the state Congress on Saturday expelled three of its members, including former general secretary Rao Afaque, and served notices to five charging them with anti-party activities.
Afaque, Naim Qureshi and R K Walia had been expelled from the party for six years for indulging in anti-party activities and hurting the party`s image, PCC spokesman Dhirendra Pratap said.
Qureshi was an ex-member of Jwalapur Municipality and Walia was recently made a Convenor of the Kisan Congress, the PCC spokesman said.
The decision to expel them was taken at a meeting of the PCC chaired by its president Yashpal Arya, Pratap said adding it was a collective decision which had the consent of AICC leaders.
Pratap, also the secretary of the PCC`s disciplinary committee, said the trio had used "foul" language against AICC in-charge of Uttarakhand Affairs Chaudhry Virendra Singh and "manhandled" him in the presence of Arya at the party office here, a day before Rahul`s arrival on a stock-taking mission.
Walia even staged a sit-in outside the hotel where Rahul met party functionaries, Pratap said.
The PCC also issued show cause notices to five party workers for anti-party activities, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'