Debris in Kedarnath not cleared yet: NDMA
New Delhi: Nearly a month after a flash flood deposited nearly a 10-foot-high mound of debris around Kedarnath shrine in Uttarakhand, not much progress has been made in clearing it, an official said on Friday.
"Not much progress has been made in clearing the debris at the Kedarnath shrine," M Shashidhar Reddy, vice chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), told a news agency.
Reddy cited challenges like inclement weather which have been delaying the clearing of debris.
"It was planned earlier that JCB machines will be carried on helicopters to clear the debris. But due to bad weather we are not able to take the machines there. Without the right kind of machines, it is tough to clear the debris," Reddy added.
Thousands of people have been reported missing after torrential rains wrecked havoc in the hill state last month and authorities fear that bodies buried under the mound of debris in Kedarnath Valley may start decomposing, leading to an epidemic.
Kedarnath, one of the revered pilgrimage sites for Hindus, is situated at an altitude of 3,586 mt near the head of Mandakini river in Himalayas. It can be reached after a steep 14-km-long trek.
The incessant and intense rains that hit Uttarakhand over three days starting June 14 triggered flash floods and landslides, leading to hundreds of deaths.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case