Debris in Kedarnath not cleared yet: NDMA
New Delhi: Nearly a month after a flash flood deposited nearly a 10-foot-high mound of debris around Kedarnath shrine in Uttarakhand, not much progress has been made in clearing it, an official said on Friday.
"Not much progress has been made in clearing the debris at the Kedarnath shrine," M Shashidhar Reddy, vice chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), told a news agency.
Reddy cited challenges like inclement weather which have been delaying the clearing of debris.
"It was planned earlier that JCB machines will be carried on helicopters to clear the debris. But due to bad weather we are not able to take the machines there. Without the right kind of machines, it is tough to clear the debris," Reddy added.
Thousands of people have been reported missing after torrential rains wrecked havoc in the hill state last month and authorities fear that bodies buried under the mound of debris in Kedarnath Valley may start decomposing, leading to an epidemic.
Kedarnath, one of the revered pilgrimage sites for Hindus, is situated at an altitude of 3,586 mt near the head of Mandakini river in Himalayas. It can be reached after a steep 14-km-long trek.
The incessant and intense rains that hit Uttarakhand over three days starting June 14 triggered flash floods and landslides, leading to hundreds of deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!