Declare Uttarakhand disaster as natural calamity: BSP
Lucknow: Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati on Thursday expressed concern over massive loss of life and property in neighbouring Uttarakhand and demanded the central government to declare it as a national calamity.
"There is not just loss of life and property in Uttarakhand but relatives of thousands of people from other parts of the country who had gone there for pilgrimage are also worried about their welfare.
"In this hour of crisis, Uttarakhand government needs all the help for making the situation normal. The central government should immediately declare it as national calamity and provide all the help required," Mayawati was quoted as saying in a party release here.
The BSP supremo said UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should take the initiative to declare the disaster as a national calamity as lakhs of families were in dire need of help.
"Instead of tours by leaders and ministers, the people of that state require prompt help at the ground level to save any further loss of life and problems of lack of food for their families," she said.
Mayawati said Uttar Pradesh should also stand by Uttarakhand, which was its part not very long ago, and extend all possible help.
She also appealed to the members of her party in Uttarakhand to help the suffering people, the release stated.
Thousands are feared dead in rain-ravaged Uttarakhand, even as rescue and relief operations have been intensified to evacuate stranded people in Kedarnath which has suffered massive damage in flash floods and cloudbursts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know