Dehradun court sentences man to death for rape, murders
Dehradun: A local court has sentenced a man to gallows for raping a girl and later killing her along with her grandmother in Haridwar district.
26-year-old Wajid Ali had raped the girl on February 19 and later poisoned her leading to her death.
When the girl`s grandmother raised alarm, Wajid crushed her under the wheels of his vehicle, sources said.
District Judge Dhananjay Chaturvedi awarded death to Wajid observing that the case belonged to the "rarest of rare category", and the culprit deserved to be awarded a punishment no less than the death penalty.
"The way in which the convict crushed the victim`s 65-year-old grandmother under the wheels of his car was most inhuman," the court said in its order.
The court had reserved its order after convicting Ali on October 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report