Dehradun court sentences man to death for rape, murders
Dehradun: A local court has sentenced a man to gallows for raping a girl and later killing her along with her grandmother in Haridwar district.
26-year-old Wajid Ali had raped the girl on February 19 and later poisoned her leading to her death.
When the girl`s grandmother raised alarm, Wajid crushed her under the wheels of his vehicle, sources said.
District Judge Dhananjay Chaturvedi awarded death to Wajid observing that the case belonged to the "rarest of rare category", and the culprit deserved to be awarded a punishment no less than the death penalty.
"The way in which the convict crushed the victim`s 65-year-old grandmother under the wheels of his car was most inhuman," the court said in its order.
The court had reserved its order after convicting Ali on October 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster