Dehradun court sentences man to death for rape, murders
Dehradun: A local court has sentenced a man to gallows for raping a girl and later killing her along with her grandmother in Haridwar district.
26-year-old Wajid Ali had raped the girl on February 19 and later poisoned her leading to her death.
When the girl`s grandmother raised alarm, Wajid crushed her under the wheels of his vehicle, sources said.
District Judge Dhananjay Chaturvedi awarded death to Wajid observing that the case belonged to the "rarest of rare category", and the culprit deserved to be awarded a punishment no less than the death penalty.
"The way in which the convict crushed the victim`s 65-year-old grandmother under the wheels of his car was most inhuman," the court said in its order.
The court had reserved its order after convicting Ali on October 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer