Development of hill areas govt`s top priority: Bahuguna
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Wednesday reaffirmed the state government`s commitment to the development of the backward hill areas of the state saying construction of an Assembly building at Gairsain was a step in that direction.
Releasing a book here titled "Rawai Kal Aaj Aur Kal", which deals with the unique cultural heritage of predominantly tribal Rawai-Jaunsar area in the hills, Bahuguna said by constructing a state Assembly building at Gairsain, the government wants to convey to people that the development of hill areas is its top priority.
Striking an emotional chord with the development starved people of the hill areas, Bahuguna had laid the foundation stone of an Assembly building at Gairsain in January and said that at least one session of the House will be held there every year.
He said Rawai-Jaunsar area has a distinct cultural identity of its own and described the book published by the Social and Environmental Welfare Committee as a tribute to it.
"Residents of Rawai-Jaunsar area are conscious of their identity and dedicated to the development of the region," Bahuguna said.
He also said it was good to see that non-resident Uttarakhandis doing well in their respective fields in different parts of the country and have kept their contact with the remote region in the hills alive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez