DGP returns after leading anti-Maoist operation
Latehar: Over 20 grenades were on Sunday lobbed by security personnel at a suspected Maoist hideout deep in the jungles of Kumandih although the attack yielded little results.
The grenades, lobbed by hand and fired through launchers, were aimed at a possible Maoist hideout some 1,500 metres away after security personnel opened the attack yesterday.
Director General of Police Rajeev Kumar was on the spot as the attack unfolded, police sources said. But there was no firing from the Maoists, who are known to disperse after guerrilla-style attacks, sources added.
Kumar, who had yesterday led the police party from the southern side of the forest, came back in the evening and announced a Rs 2 lakh cash price for 180 police personnel who courageously took part in operations against Maoists on difficult terrain.
He also gave Rs 500 each to 18 families living in the nearby village besides giving them essential commodities and clothes, police said.
Personnel from Jharkhand Armed Police, Jharkhand Jaguars and Latehar district police were involved in the operation in question.
Latehar is one of the 20 naxal-hit districts out of a total 24 districts in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India