DGP returns after leading anti-Maoist operation
Latehar: Over 20 grenades were on Sunday lobbed by security personnel at a suspected Maoist hideout deep in the jungles of Kumandih although the attack yielded little results.
The grenades, lobbed by hand and fired through launchers, were aimed at a possible Maoist hideout some 1,500 metres away after security personnel opened the attack yesterday.
Director General of Police Rajeev Kumar was on the spot as the attack unfolded, police sources said. But there was no firing from the Maoists, who are known to disperse after guerrilla-style attacks, sources added.
Kumar, who had yesterday led the police party from the southern side of the forest, came back in the evening and announced a Rs 2 lakh cash price for 180 police personnel who courageously took part in operations against Maoists on difficult terrain.
He also gave Rs 500 each to 18 families living in the nearby village besides giving them essential commodities and clothes, police said.
Personnel from Jharkhand Armed Police, Jharkhand Jaguars and Latehar district police were involved in the operation in question.
Latehar is one of the 20 naxal-hit districts out of a total 24 districts in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested