Dhami quits Dharchula seat for Rawat
Gairsain: Congress MLA from Dharchula Harish Dhami on Tuesday vacated his seat to pave the way for Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat to contest from the constituency.
Dhami, a known Harish Rawat loayalist, submitted his resignation to Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal.
The Speaker has accepted his resignation, Dhami told reporters here.
Dhami`s resignation from Dharchula Assembly seat ends months of speculation over which of the seats the Chief Minister would chose to contest to make his entry into the state assembly.
Rawat who took over from Vijay Bahuguna as chief minister on February 1 this year has to become a member of the state Asseembly within six months of being sworn in.
He was an MP from Haridwar in the last Lok Sabha at the time of being sworn in.
Looking for a safe seat in view of Congress losing all Lok Sabha seats to BJP in Uttarakhand, Rawat was torn between two choices of Dharchula and Doiwala.
While Dhami had expressed his readiness to vacate his seat for the Chief Minister long back, there was also talk about Rawat preferring to contest from Doiwala, an Assembly segment of Haridwar Lok Sabha seat which he represented in the 15th Lok Sabha.
The only deterrent was his wife Renuka Rawat`s performance in Doiwala segment in Lok Sabha polls where she finished behind her nearest rival and former chief minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank by nearly 22000 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan