`DNA samples of 131 bodies collected in U`khand`
Dehradun: The DNA samples of over 100 bodies have been collected by forensic experts prior to their mass cremation in Kedarnath valley, Uttarakhand Human Rights Commission Chairman Vijendra Jain said Friday.
Citing a data received from the state government, Jain said the DNA samples of 131 bodies lying visibly in Kedarnath shrine area and adjoining villages have been taken so far out of which only one body has been identified.
The bodies are being gradually cremated by the team stationed at the Himalayan shrine for the purpose after performing necessary rites and completion of all formalities like DNA sample preservation and identification, he said.
The Commission has asked the state government to speed up distribution of relief among affected people amid reports of foodgrain and kerosene shortage in a number of villages cut off after the calamity that struck the state over a fortnight ago, he said.
Jain said bad weather and poor connectivity with major roads damaged in affected villages is hampering relief efforts but the situation is likely to improve in a couple of days.
On VVIP movement in affected areas he said it should be discouraged in the present circumstances as the services of a lot of men in uniform and senior officials are diverted to address issues like their security hampering relief operations.
VVIPs can visit the affected areas when things get back on track in the calamity-hit state, Jain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...