Don`t use Uttarakhand calamity as political opportunity: Cong to BJP
New Delhi: Seeking to dismiss Opposition attack over handling of the Uttarakhand issue, Congress today came out in support of the Vijay Bahuguna government and asked BJP to refrain from political oneupmanship in the wake of the devastation caused by the floods.
"Congress party is satisfied over the way the Uttarakhand government has been functioning," party General Secretary Ajay Maken told reporters in the wake of BJP demanding dismissal of the state
government over "inept" handling of the crisis.
Maken wanted the Opposition party "not to play politics and criticise the state government at this point of time" but "support the state government" which is carrying out the relief and rehabilitation task.
BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley had earlier charged the Uttarakhand government with failing to effectively handle the tragedy caused by floods and landslides in rain fury a fortnight ago.
"I am sorry to say that the government in Uttarakhand has not been able to rise to the occasion. They ought to be dismissed for being inept and incompetent," Swaraj tweeted.
Maken, who is the new head of the Communications Department for Congress, also posted a series of tweets taking potshots at BJP over the Uttarakhand issue.
"Instead of helping in relief works in U`khand, don`t try to use this calamity as a Political Opportunity!"
"Pyre of many Victims of this Natural Calamity still warm. First BJP tried to take credit of evacuating 15000 in a day," was another tweet of Maken in a jibe at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi over claims he flew to Uttarakhand and helped rescue 15,000 Gujaratis in a day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!