EC asks Rawat to explain stance on announcement of grant
New Delhi: Noting that prima facie Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat has violated the Model Code of Conduct by announcing monetary grant for a building, the Election Commission has asked him to explain his stand by Tuesday.
The EC notice to Rawat said if he fails to explain his stand on the notice by tomorrow evening, the poll panel will take a decision without further seeking his views.
The Commission took cognizance of media reports that at a `Holi Milan` programme held at Kurmanchal Bhawan, Dehradun on March 9, Rawat made an announcement that Rs 51 lakh will be paid for the Bhawan of the Kurmanchal Parishad.
While issuing notice to Rawat, a former Union minister, the EC referred to sub paras (v) and (vi) of Para Vll of the Model Code of Conduct which states that "Ministers and other authorities shall not sanction grants/payments out of discretionary funds from the time elections are announced by the Commission" and "Ministers and other authorities shall not announce any financial grants in any form or promises thereof."
"...The Commission is, prima facie, of the opinion that by making the aforesaid statement you have violated the above mentioned provision of Model Code of Conduct. Now, therefore, the Commission gives you an opportunity to explain your stand in making the above said statement before 5 pm on April 1, 2014 failing which the ECI shall take a decision without further reference to you," the notice issued yesterday said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!