Eight more bodies recovered at Kedarnath
Dehradun: Eight highly decomposed bodies were recovered from the debris at Kedarnath over four months after areas close to the Himalayan shrine bore the brunt of the mid June disaster.
Eight more bodies, most of them in a highly decomposed condition, were recovered yesterday during cleaning of debris from structures standing close to the shrine, Rudraprayag SP Baridnerjit Singh Mann said on Wednesday.
With this, the total number of bodies recovered and cremated in Rudraprayag district has touched 541, he said.
The bodies were found under the rubble of hotels and lodges that were being cleaned by their owners, the official said.
With the passage of more than four months after the tragedy, the bodies were in a highly decomposed state with only two of the eight skeletal remains being intact, the SP said.
The bodies have been cremated with necessary formalities like DNA sampling and vedic rituals, he said.
The cleaning of debris from structures close to Kedarnath shrine will continue for the next few days and the possibility of more bodies being found cannot be ruled out, Mann said.
Hundreds of people, most of them pilgrims, died and thousands had gone missing when a massive deluge struck Uttarakhand on June 16-17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees