Eleven killed, four injured as jeep falls into gorge in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Eleven persons were killed and four injured when the vehicle they were travelling in fell into a deep gorge here.
All eleven persons were killed on the spot when the vehicle fell into a 200-metre-deep gorge between Nada and Lakhamandal in Chakrata area of the district this afternoon, SSP Keval Khurana said.
Four persons, including a woman, were injured in the mishap and have been admitted to Naugaon community health centre for treatment, he said.
Two passengers jumped off the vehicle as it plunged into the ravine near Gedia bridge and were saved, he said.
The exact reason behind the accident is being ascertained; prima facie it appears the mishap occurred as the driver was trying to negotiate a sharp turn, the SSP said.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and Governor Aziz Qureshi condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'