Ex-servicemen of Indian Army thank Rahul Gandhi for `One Rank, One Pension` scheme
Dehradun: Ex-servicemen of Indian Army have thanked Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi for announcing the clearance of the `One Rank, One Pension` scheme.
During the meeting with Gandhi here, the ex-servicemen said they had been fighting for this service condition for a long time.
"First of all, I would like to congratulate Rahul Gandhi for restoring the honour of the army by his single pay initiative. We have been fighting this battle for a long time. For this, we will always remain thankful to him", said former Indian Army officer Najendra Singh Rawat.
Meanwhile, a former personnel of a paramilitary force, Yashpal Singh Negi, urged Gandhi to provide similar initiatives to paramilitary forces.
"I belong to paramilitary forces. So, I would ask Rahul Gandhi to give the same facilities to the paramilitary forces as those enjoyed by the Indian Army," said Negi.
Gandhi had earlier said that One Rank One Pension scheme will prove historical for the welfare of the soldiers, who defend the country by working in difficult conditions.
"It (One Rank One Pension) is a historical step. The soldiers posted in difficult terrains are defending our country by giving their blood and sweat. It is our responsibility to help them. I would like to thank the government, the prime minister and Congress president Sonia Gandhi. The soldiers must feel that they have the government`s support," he said.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram had in his interim budget announced "one-rank one pension" to ensure that retirees receive a pension to match the rank at which they retired regardless of when they leave the forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends