Famous temple swept away by Bhagirathi in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: The famous Manikarnika Temple on the banks of Bhagirathi was swept away by the swirling waters of the river in the wee hours on Friday even as fresh attempts were launched to trace Almora SDM Ajay Arora, who slipped off a makeshift bridge and fell into the Mandakini river.
Manikarnika Temple, a favourite destination for devotees during the month of `Shravan` was swept away by the waters of Bhagirathi as incessant rains lashed Uttarkashi last night, officials said.
However, no one was hurt as the temple was empty at the time of the incident, its priest Suresh Shastri said.
The temple was built after the 1991 earthquake in Uttarkashi which had killed a large number of people.
As the weather slightly improved in Rudraprayag district, fresh attempts were launched to search for Arora with a 14-member team of trained PAC divers flown beyond Sonprayag to scour the Mandakini in a bid to look for him, District Disaster Management Officer Meera Kaintura said.
NDRF personnel are also assisting in the search operation, she said.
A low-flying aerial recce over Mandakini conducted by Garhwal commissioner Subardhan, DIG Amit Sinha and Rudraprayag District Magistrate Dilip Jawalkar had not yielded any results yesterday, she said.
Police have been alerted and asked to comb the river close to the banks in search of the official who fell into the river while returning from the Himalayan shrine of Kedarnath to Garurchatti base camp on Wednesday afternoon.
The weather across Uttarakhand was generally cloudy with no fresh spell of rains, state Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls