File affidavit on environment issues: U`khand HC
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand High Court has asked the state government to file an affidavit within six weeks over the issue of conservation of natural environment.
This follows a PIL by HESCO, a Dehradun-based NGO, in the High court praying that the government should be directed to make provision for the measurement and periodical review of the "gross environmental protection" in Uttarakhand in view of the deterioration in overall quality of the state`s ecology.
Notices asking the government to file affidavit were issued by a division bench comprising Justice Tarun Agarwala and Justice SK Gupta of the High Court recently, B P Nautiyal, counsel for the petitioner, told reporters here today.
"Our basic concern is that the quality of forests, water, rivers, soil and other natural resources is going down over the years. Since the state is enjoying a growth rate of
9.2. However, this state growth rate does not reflect contribution of rural economic and ecological growth.”
"Uttarkahand being a sensitive ecological zone, development indicators must also reflect growth of environmental components especially forests, water, soil etc as major substances of common rural state. The status of these resources is not satisfactory but degrading largely," the petition said.
Anil P Joshi, founder of the HESCO, said since Uttarakhand is known for great rivers like Ganga and glaciers like Gangotri, as per records the average rate of recession of
Gangotri glacier is 20 meter per annum which is very alarming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic