File affidavit on environment issues: U`khand HC
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand High Court has asked the state government to file an affidavit within six weeks over the issue of conservation of natural environment.
This follows a PIL by HESCO, a Dehradun-based NGO, in the High court praying that the government should be directed to make provision for the measurement and periodical review of the "gross environmental protection" in Uttarakhand in view of the deterioration in overall quality of the state`s ecology.
Notices asking the government to file affidavit were issued by a division bench comprising Justice Tarun Agarwala and Justice SK Gupta of the High Court recently, B P Nautiyal, counsel for the petitioner, told reporters here today.
"Our basic concern is that the quality of forests, water, rivers, soil and other natural resources is going down over the years. Since the state is enjoying a growth rate of
9.2. However, this state growth rate does not reflect contribution of rural economic and ecological growth.”
"Uttarkahand being a sensitive ecological zone, development indicators must also reflect growth of environmental components especially forests, water, soil etc as major substances of common rural state. The status of these resources is not satisfactory but degrading largely," the petition said.
Anil P Joshi, founder of the HESCO, said since Uttarakhand is known for great rivers like Ganga and glaciers like Gangotri, as per records the average rate of recession of
Gangotri glacier is 20 meter per annum which is very alarming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now