First priority to win trust vote: Bahuguna
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay
Bahuguna on Saturday said he would first prove his majority on the
floor of the House before distributing portfolios among the
"My first priority is to win the trust vote in the state
Assembly," he told reporters here.
"Portfolios will come later," the Chief Minister said on
his return from New Delhi where he held talks with senior
Congress leaders on various issues plaguing his government.
Bahuguna, who went to New Delhi on Wednesday, said he
held meetings with Union ministers who assured him they would
extend all help to the state in development works.
The Chief Minister had also discussed issues related to
distribution of portfolios with senior party leaders in New
Bahuguna`s first task is to get the party`s nominee
elected as Speaker of the House. The Congress is banking on
support of seven non-BJP MLAs in this regard.
The election of the Speaker will be held on March 26, a
day before the first session of the newly-constituted Assembly
The BJP is also contemplating to field its own candidate
for the post of the Speaker.
"We have not taken a decision but we are thinking of
putting up a candidate," said former Chief Minister Bhagat
After the election of the Speaker, Bahuguna will have
to face the crucial trust vote on the floor of the House.
Eleven Congress MLAs are also yet to take oath.
Pro-tem Speaker Shailendra Mohan Singhal said he would
sit in his chamber to administer oath to the MLAs tomorrow
when the nomination for the post of the Speaker would be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda