First Uttarakhand CM Nityanand Swami dies
Dehradun: The first Chief Minister of Uttarakhand Nityanand Swami died here Wednesday morning following prolonged illness.
He was 85. He is survived by four daughters.
He breathed his last at about 9:30 am at the city`s Combined Medical Institute (CMI).
Official sources said Swami, who became the first CM of the North Indian state when it was created out of Uttar Pradesh in 2000, will be cremated with state honours at 4 pm at Lakhibagh in the city.
His mortal remains have been kept at his ancestral home here for people to pay their last respects. The funeral procession will start at 2 pm, family sources said.
Proceedings in the state Assembly were adjourned for the day after paying condolences to Swami.
Describing his death as a personal loss, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said Swami was an inspiring leader to whom he often went to seek guidance.
Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt said as chief minister of Uttarakhand, Swami gave total freedom to his ministers to work in the interest of people.
Swami represented Dehradun seat in Uttar Pradesh Assembly and was also a member of the neighbouring state`s Legislative Council in 1984, 1990 and 1996.
Born at Narnaul in Haryana on December 27, 1927, Swami was a lawyer and social worker before joining politics.
His political career began when he won from Dehradun seat for the first time as a candidate of erstwhile Jana Sangha.
He was also elected to Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council from Kumaon and Garhwal graduate constituencies in 1984, 1990 and 1996.
Swami, who was made vice chairman of Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council in 1991, rose to become its chairman in 1992 and remained at the post till 2000.
When Uttarakhand was created out of Uttar Pradesh on November 9, 2000, he became its first Chief Minister and remained at the helm till October 29, 2001.
Expressing their grief at the death of Swami, legislators from across the political spectrum remembered him as a warm- hearted person who was always available for young members to guide them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview