Five killed in Uttarakhand landslide, heavy rain alert
Lucknow/Dehradun: Five people were killed in a landslide in Uttarakhand and the meteorological department Monday warned of another round of incessant downpour within 48 hours.
Heavy rain pounded the state 10 days back.
The rain alert has been sounded for most areas of the state, including Nainital, Chamoli, Champawat, Uttarkashi and the state capital Dehradun.
Following the warning, disaster management teams have been asked to be on standby. Officials have been asked to be "extra vigilant" in areas adjacent to rivers, many of which are in spate owing to the heavy rain that lashed the state July 16-17.
A massive landslide in Pangla of the Dharchula area Sunday killed five of a family. The landslide was triggered by heavy rain in the region since Saturday night.
The condition of three others, who were trapped in the mud after the landslide, continues to be critical at a medical facility in Dharchula, a district official informed IANS.
Chief Minister Harish Rawat, the official said, was monitoring the situation personally and has ordered ex-gratia payment for the families of those killed in the landslide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof