Five pilgrims mowed down by speeding car at Kumbh Mela
Haridwar: Five Kumbh pilgrims were killed
and nine others injured when they were hit by an overspeeding
car carrying Naga Sadhus at Birla Ghat bridge area Wednesday.
The accident took place when a procession of `Joona
Akhara` was moving towards Har-Ki-Pauri, the main bathing
ghat, and the crowd lined up on the roadside to witness it was
hit by the vehicle, SSP, Kumbh Mela, Ajay Rautela said.
He said five pilgrims, including three women and a
girl, were killed and nine others injured in the accident. The
identity of the deceased is yet to be established.
The injured have been admitted to the mela hospital.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has ordered a
magisterial inquiry into the incident and announced an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next of the kin of those
Expressing grief over the incident, Nishank has asked
the administration to provide best medical treatment to the
During the fourth and last royal bath on the occasion
of Mesh Sankranti today, nearly 80 lakh pilgrims including
Sadhus and seers belonging to various akharas have taken a dip
in the Kumbh area, official sources said.
Various ghats of Haridwar and Rishikesh were seen
flooded with pilgrims since last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor