Five pilgrims mowed down by speeding car at Kumbh Mela
Haridwar: Five Kumbh pilgrims were killed
and nine others injured when they were hit by an overspeeding
car carrying Naga Sadhus at Birla Ghat bridge area Wednesday.
The accident took place when a procession of `Joona
Akhara` was moving towards Har-Ki-Pauri, the main bathing
ghat, and the crowd lined up on the roadside to witness it was
hit by the vehicle, SSP, Kumbh Mela, Ajay Rautela said.
He said five pilgrims, including three women and a
girl, were killed and nine others injured in the accident. The
identity of the deceased is yet to be established.
The injured have been admitted to the mela hospital.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has ordered a
magisterial inquiry into the incident and announced an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next of the kin of those
Expressing grief over the incident, Nishank has asked
the administration to provide best medical treatment to the
During the fourth and last royal bath on the occasion
of Mesh Sankranti today, nearly 80 lakh pilgrims including
Sadhus and seers belonging to various akharas have taken a dip
in the Kumbh area, official sources said.
Various ghats of Haridwar and Rishikesh were seen
flooded with pilgrims since last night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living