Five pilgrims mowed down by speeding car at Kumbh Mela
Haridwar: Five Kumbh pilgrims were killed
and nine others injured when they were hit by an overspeeding
car carrying Naga Sadhus at Birla Ghat bridge area Wednesday.
The accident took place when a procession of `Joona
Akhara` was moving towards Har-Ki-Pauri, the main bathing
ghat, and the crowd lined up on the roadside to witness it was
hit by the vehicle, SSP, Kumbh Mela, Ajay Rautela said.
He said five pilgrims, including three women and a
girl, were killed and nine others injured in the accident. The
identity of the deceased is yet to be established.
The injured have been admitted to the mela hospital.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has ordered a
magisterial inquiry into the incident and announced an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next of the kin of those
Expressing grief over the incident, Nishank has asked
the administration to provide best medical treatment to the
During the fourth and last royal bath on the occasion
of Mesh Sankranti today, nearly 80 lakh pilgrims including
Sadhus and seers belonging to various akharas have taken a dip
in the Kumbh area, official sources said.
Various ghats of Haridwar and Rishikesh were seen
flooded with pilgrims since last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued