Five-year jail term for submitting fake degree for professor`s job
Kotdwar: A local court has sentenced a man to five-year jail term for conning authorities of a medical college in Uttarakhand and managing to land the job of an associate professor on the basis of fake degrees.
Besides the jail term, Pauri`s Chief Judicial Magistrate Mahesh Chandra Kaushik yesterday imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 on K P Singh after he pleaded guilty for submitting fake degrees for his appointment as an associate professor at the medical college and teaching there for about a year.
According to government prosecutor Digpal Singh Negi, K P Singh joined as associate professor at Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali Government Medical College at Srinagar in Garhwal on September 1, 2011 in the department of microbiology.
At the time of the appointment, he submitted a photocopy of his degree certificate in the institute.
He was directed to produce the original copy of the degree before college administration. But despite repeated reminders, he did not produce the degree before college administration.
This raised suspicion of the then head of the institution Dr Sneh lata Sud. She wrote a letter to the Secretary, Medical Education, about the doubts over the degree of Singh.
Sud subsequently launched an inquiry and appointed Neelam Sharma, the head of the microbiology department, as the investigating officer.
The investigation revealed that the photocopy submitted by K P Singh was fake.
On June 12 last year, the new head of the institution Dr V L Jahangeer lodged an FIR against Singh.
The accused was arrested and sent to jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey