Former HC judge probing scandals attacked in U`khand
Dehradun: A former High Court judge, heading
a commission to probe more than 50 scams which allegedly took
place during the previous Congress government in Uttarakhand,
was attacked here today by a group of people which also
vandalised his office, police said.
Retired Allahabad High Court Judge, Justice Shambhunath
Srivastav, was attacked by a mob of over 50 people, suspected
of having links with Uttarakhand Kranti Dal and Congress, when
he was working at the office of the state police complaint
authority, they said.
Srivastav narrowly escaped the attack and whisked away by
the office employees.
The miscreants damaged the furniture and shouted slogans
against him, police said.
"About 50-60 people entered my office and attacked me. I
somehow managed to leave the place...they also vandalised the
office where documents regarding the enquiry were kept,"
Justice Srivastav said.
The state government recently appointed Srivastav as
chairman of the commission set up to probe more than 50
scandals which surfaced during the previous N D Tiwari-led
The Commission, which was set up in September, 2007 by
the then B C Khanduri government, does not have a permanent
office, and functions from the police complaint authority.
According to police sources, a case has been registered
against 12 persons in this connection.
The investigation into the incident was on, but no person
has been arrested so far, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM