Four die as Uttarakhand reels under intense cold
Dehradun: Four women succumbed to the chill in Haridwar as entire Uttarakhand remained in the grip of a severe cold wave today with several districts in higher hills recording sub-zero temperatures.
Four women, aged between 50-62 years, died of cold in Kaliyar and Budhwa Sahid villages near Roorkee in Haridwar district yesterday, officials said.
The minimum temperature touched one degree celsius in Haridwar district which was enveloped in a thick blanket of fog.
State capital Dehradun reeled under intense cold registering a low of 1.3 degrees celsius.
Districts located in higher reaches like Almora, Tehri Garhwal and Pithoragarh recorded sub-zero temperatures while Udhamsingh Nagar, Pauri and parts of Nainital were wrapped in dense fog, MeT office Director Anand Sharma told a news agency.
Tehri district was the coldest at 0.5 degrees Celsius followed by Mukteshwar at 0.4 degrees and Pithoragarh at 0.2 degrees.
Similar weather conditions have been predicted for the next few days in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside