Four die as Uttarakhand reels under intense cold
Dehradun: Four women succumbed to the chill in Haridwar as entire Uttarakhand remained in the grip of a severe cold wave today with several districts in higher hills recording sub-zero temperatures.
Four women, aged between 50-62 years, died of cold in Kaliyar and Budhwa Sahid villages near Roorkee in Haridwar district yesterday, officials said.
The minimum temperature touched one degree celsius in Haridwar district which was enveloped in a thick blanket of fog.
State capital Dehradun reeled under intense cold registering a low of 1.3 degrees celsius.
Districts located in higher reaches like Almora, Tehri Garhwal and Pithoragarh recorded sub-zero temperatures while Udhamsingh Nagar, Pauri and parts of Nainital were wrapped in dense fog, MeT office Director Anand Sharma told a news agency.
Tehri district was the coldest at 0.5 degrees Celsius followed by Mukteshwar at 0.4 degrees and Pithoragarh at 0.2 degrees.
Similar weather conditions have been predicted for the next few days in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof