Four die as Uttarakhand reels under intense cold
Dehradun: Four women succumbed to the chill in Haridwar as entire Uttarakhand remained in the grip of a severe cold wave today with several districts in higher hills recording sub-zero temperatures.
Four women, aged between 50-62 years, died of cold in Kaliyar and Budhwa Sahid villages near Roorkee in Haridwar district yesterday, officials said.
The minimum temperature touched one degree celsius in Haridwar district which was enveloped in a thick blanket of fog.
State capital Dehradun reeled under intense cold registering a low of 1.3 degrees celsius.
Districts located in higher reaches like Almora, Tehri Garhwal and Pithoragarh recorded sub-zero temperatures while Udhamsingh Nagar, Pauri and parts of Nainital were wrapped in dense fog, MeT office Director Anand Sharma told a news agency.
Tehri district was the coldest at 0.5 degrees Celsius followed by Mukteshwar at 0.4 degrees and Pithoragarh at 0.2 degrees.
Similar weather conditions have been predicted for the next few days in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen