Four of a family killed as rain fury continues in U`khand
Dehradun: Four members of a family were killed and as many others were swept away in separate incidents of landslides and cloudbursts triggered by heavy showers in Uttarakhand on Wednesday.
State Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre here said over a dozen houses were also damaged in these incidents.
Four members of a family were killed in their sleep in a slum area in Rajpur road in the city when early morning rains caused a landslide in a nearby hill and boulders fell over their slum flattening it, police said.
A 30-year-old labourer Vinod Thapa, his wife Sarita (25), daughter Pooja (7) and son Nishant (2) were killed on the spot, they said.
Four persons were swept away in a cloudburst in Kapkot division of Bageshwar district in Kumaon region when four houses collapsed under the impact of heavy rains and their rubble flew down a nearby canal.
Kapkot SDM Kailash Singh Tolia, who rushed to the spot, said three persons were rescued alive from the rubble of the damaged houses but four others who were still trapped under the debris seem to have flown down the canal.
A combing operation is on to trace them, he said.
125 mm of rains have been recorded in Kapkot division of Bageshwar district in the past 24 hours swelling rivers Saryu and Gomti in the area which are flowing just a few centimetres below the danger mark.
Nine houses were damaged in a landslide triggered by heavy rains in Sulat division of Almora district past midninht yesterday.
Two houses were also damaged in cloudbursts at Pipli Dhanadi and Atadi villages in Uttarkashi district where 90 mm of rains have been received in the past 24 hours.
Landslides have brought debris onto several roads across the state disrupting traffic along them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'