Four of a family killed as rain fury continues in U`khand
Dehradun: Four members of a family were killed and as many others were swept away in separate incidents of landslides and cloudbursts triggered by heavy showers in Uttarakhand on Wednesday.
State Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre here said over a dozen houses were also damaged in these incidents.
Four members of a family were killed in their sleep in a slum area in Rajpur road in the city when early morning rains caused a landslide in a nearby hill and boulders fell over their slum flattening it, police said.
A 30-year-old labourer Vinod Thapa, his wife Sarita (25), daughter Pooja (7) and son Nishant (2) were killed on the spot, they said.
Four persons were swept away in a cloudburst in Kapkot division of Bageshwar district in Kumaon region when four houses collapsed under the impact of heavy rains and their rubble flew down a nearby canal.
Kapkot SDM Kailash Singh Tolia, who rushed to the spot, said three persons were rescued alive from the rubble of the damaged houses but four others who were still trapped under the debris seem to have flown down the canal.
A combing operation is on to trace them, he said.
125 mm of rains have been recorded in Kapkot division of Bageshwar district in the past 24 hours swelling rivers Saryu and Gomti in the area which are flowing just a few centimetres below the danger mark.
Nine houses were damaged in a landslide triggered by heavy rains in Sulat division of Almora district past midninht yesterday.
Two houses were also damaged in cloudbursts at Pipli Dhanadi and Atadi villages in Uttarkashi district where 90 mm of rains have been received in the past 24 hours.
Landslides have brought debris onto several roads across the state disrupting traffic along them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday