Gayatri Peeth booked for Haridwar stampede
Haridwar: The Uttarakhand Police, Wednesday, booked the Gayatri Shakti Peeth for the stampede at its ashram here that left 20 devotees dead.
The organisers of the birth centenary celebrations of the Peeth’s founder Acharya Sri Ram Sharma - during which the tragedy occurred yesterday - have been charged under the section of the IPC that pertains to culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Earlier in the day, the authorities of Shantikunj Ashram ended the birth centenary celebrations today in compliance with a state government directive.
Accordingly, a Shanti yajna was performed this morning and the culmination of the celebration was announced after observing silence by the devotees.
The stampede broke out yesterday when people tried to enter the `yajnashala`(place of sacred fire ceremony) at Chandidweep Ghat for the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead