Gayatri Peeth booked for Haridwar stampede
Haridwar: The Uttarakhand Police, Wednesday, booked the Gayatri Shakti Peeth for the stampede at its ashram here that left 20 devotees dead.
The organisers of the birth centenary celebrations of the Peeth’s founder Acharya Sri Ram Sharma - during which the tragedy occurred yesterday - have been charged under the section of the IPC that pertains to culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Earlier in the day, the authorities of Shantikunj Ashram ended the birth centenary celebrations today in compliance with a state government directive.
Accordingly, a Shanti yajna was performed this morning and the culmination of the celebration was announced after observing silence by the devotees.
The stampede broke out yesterday when people tried to enter the `yajnashala`(place of sacred fire ceremony) at Chandidweep Ghat for the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt