Gayatri Peeth booked for Haridwar stampede
Haridwar: The Uttarakhand Police, Wednesday, booked the Gayatri Shakti Peeth for the stampede at its ashram here that left 20 devotees dead.
The organisers of the birth centenary celebrations of the Peeth’s founder Acharya Sri Ram Sharma - during which the tragedy occurred yesterday - have been charged under the section of the IPC that pertains to culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Earlier in the day, the authorities of Shantikunj Ashram ended the birth centenary celebrations today in compliance with a state government directive.
Accordingly, a Shanti yajna was performed this morning and the culmination of the celebration was announced after observing silence by the devotees.
The stampede broke out yesterday when people tried to enter the `yajnashala`(place of sacred fire ceremony) at Chandidweep Ghat for the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him