Gayatri Peeth booked for Haridwar stampede
Haridwar: The Uttarakhand Police, Wednesday, booked the Gayatri Shakti Peeth for the stampede at its ashram here that left 20 devotees dead.
The organisers of the birth centenary celebrations of the Peeth’s founder Acharya Sri Ram Sharma - during which the tragedy occurred yesterday - have been charged under the section of the IPC that pertains to culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Earlier in the day, the authorities of Shantikunj Ashram ended the birth centenary celebrations today in compliance with a state government directive.
Accordingly, a Shanti yajna was performed this morning and the culmination of the celebration was announced after observing silence by the devotees.
The stampede broke out yesterday when people tried to enter the `yajnashala`(place of sacred fire ceremony) at Chandidweep Ghat for the celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh