Ghulam Nabi Azad disfavours ministers visiting Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Thursday disfavoured central ministers or those holding high positions in the government visiting flood-ravaged Uttarakhand saying it hampered rescue and relief work.
Azad, however, defended Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi`s visit to Uttarakhand, saying he was not in the administration and political leaders were going there to coordinate relief operations by parties.
"It is not the job of Ministers to go there. This is not the time for politicians to give speeches there. It is the doctors who should go there. When Ministers go there, we become a burden on them.
"People like us with high security, when we go there, we become more a problem than a solution to a problem. The security will push people here and there...It is better that those who are required should go there. I do not agree with others going there. We have seen yesterday`s tamasha on how politicians were squabbling there," Azad told reporters when asked if he favoured visits of VIPs in Uttarakhand.
On Gandhi`s visit to the flood affected state, Azad said "he is not in administration".
"If all 79 ministers will go there, then it becomes more problematic. Party leaders are going...As a party, people go in different capacities. They coordinate with the party," he said.
Azad said there should be no politics in health and it should be left to doctors and specialists to handle it.
"There should be no politics, no religion in health. We should keep it confined to doctors and specialists," he said, adding doctors, technicians and specialists should be going there instead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you