Ghulam Nabi Azad disfavours ministers visiting Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Thursday disfavoured central ministers or those holding high positions in the government visiting flood-ravaged Uttarakhand saying it hampered rescue and relief work.
Azad, however, defended Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi`s visit to Uttarakhand, saying he was not in the administration and political leaders were going there to coordinate relief operations by parties.
"It is not the job of Ministers to go there. This is not the time for politicians to give speeches there. It is the doctors who should go there. When Ministers go there, we become a burden on them.
"People like us with high security, when we go there, we become more a problem than a solution to a problem. The security will push people here and there...It is better that those who are required should go there. I do not agree with others going there. We have seen yesterday`s tamasha on how politicians were squabbling there," Azad told reporters when asked if he favoured visits of VIPs in Uttarakhand.
On Gandhi`s visit to the flood affected state, Azad said "he is not in administration".
"If all 79 ministers will go there, then it becomes more problematic. Party leaders are going...As a party, people go in different capacities. They coordinate with the party," he said.
Azad said there should be no politics in health and it should be left to doctors and specialists to handle it.
"There should be no politics, no religion in health. We should keep it confined to doctors and specialists," he said, adding doctors, technicians and specialists should be going there instead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre