Ghulam Nabi Azad disfavours ministers visiting Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Thursday disfavoured central ministers or those holding high positions in the government visiting flood-ravaged Uttarakhand saying it hampered rescue and relief work.
Azad, however, defended Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi`s visit to Uttarakhand, saying he was not in the administration and political leaders were going there to coordinate relief operations by parties.
"It is not the job of Ministers to go there. This is not the time for politicians to give speeches there. It is the doctors who should go there. When Ministers go there, we become a burden on them.
"People like us with high security, when we go there, we become more a problem than a solution to a problem. The security will push people here and there...It is better that those who are required should go there. I do not agree with others going there. We have seen yesterday`s tamasha on how politicians were squabbling there," Azad told reporters when asked if he favoured visits of VIPs in Uttarakhand.
On Gandhi`s visit to the flood affected state, Azad said "he is not in administration".
"If all 79 ministers will go there, then it becomes more problematic. Party leaders are going...As a party, people go in different capacities. They coordinate with the party," he said.
Azad said there should be no politics in health and it should be left to doctors and specialists to handle it.
"There should be no politics, no religion in health. We should keep it confined to doctors and specialists," he said, adding doctors, technicians and specialists should be going there instead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days