Give approval to state Lokayukta Bill: Khanduri
Dehradun: Terming it as a major achievement
of his government, Uttarakhand Chief Minister BC Khanduri
on Sunday asked the Centre to give its approval to the much-hyped
Lokayukta Bill which was passed unanimously by the state
assembly last year.
"The Bill is being held up at the Centre. After the
assent of the Governor, the Bill was sent to the President
(Pratibha Patil) as the subject falls in the Concurrent List,"
Khanduri said in an interview.
Significantly, the Lokayukta Bill is one of the major
poll planks of the ruling BJP for the January 30 Assembly
Khanduri also said his government has already sent two
reminders to the Centre for its early approval.
"It is very unfortunate that such a landmark bill is
being stopped by the Centre. If the chief minister is ready to
go to the jail (according to the penal provisions for graft
cases), what is the problem (of the Centre)? Why are they
delaying it?" Khanduri wondered.
In one such reminder, Khanduri said he himself has
written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the
early clearance of the Bill which would help in controlling
Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar, in a separate reminder,
has also sent a similar letter to the Centre for the early
approval of the Bill, Khanduri said.
When asked about the reasons for the Central government
delaying the Bill, Khanduri said it was largely due to its
"The Bill drafted by the Centre is in much diluted form
as compared to the one we have passed," he said.
The chief minister also lamented that there was no time
limit for such delays.
One such bill of the Gujarat government has remained
pending for clearance by the Centre for the last 7-8 years,
On November 1 last year, the Uttarakhand Assembly passed
the Lokayukta Bill which brings in its net the post of Chief
Minister, Ministers, MLAs and government servants including
IAS and IPS officers with a provision of life imprisonment or
more severe punishment for graft cases.
Khanduri, who took inspiration from the Anna Hazare
movement, said the Bill will go a long way in the fight
On November 3, Governor Margaret Alva gave her assent and
lauded it also. Soon after being sworn in on September 11 last
year, Khanduri had vowed to set up a stronger Lokayukta within
After the completion of investigation in any graft case,
the Lokayukta shall have the power to recommend punishment,
dismissal, removal or reduction in rank against government
The recommendation shall be binding on the appointing or
disciplinary authority of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly