`Govt committed to help people in Uttarakhand`
Indore: Minister of State for Energy Jyotiraditya Scindia has said that government was trying its best to take appropriate steps to control the situation in rain-ravaged Uttarakhand.
"Natural disaster has struck Uttarakhand and our sensitivities are with affected people," he told reporters here last night.
Scindia said the government was committed to help affected people and they were being provided with relief and other materials in adequate quantities.
He said that apart from Central and State governments, the Army was also helping in relief and rescue operations in Uttarakhand.
Scindia said that officials from his ministry had been deployed in Uttarakhand.
The official death toll in the flood disaster as of yesterday was put at 680, while Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said the number is likely to be around 1,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...