Govt to keep DNA profile, photographs of unidentified victims
Dehradun: All unidentified victims of the Uttarakhand disaster will be photographed and their DNA profiles kept in safety custody to help family members identify them in future.
As many of the 822 people who lost their lives following the rains and floods in Uttarakhand were yet to be identified, the government has decided to take photographs of all deceased and keep their DNA profile before their last rites, official sources said.
The decision to keep the records of every unidentified victim has been taken to help anyone who may come in future looking for them.
However, if the toll increases very substantially, the Uttarakhand government may take help of central forensic organisations in this task, the sources said.
DNA profiles are encrypted sets of numbers that reflect a person`s DNA makeup, which can also be used as the person`s identifier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag
- WATCH: Fan girl proposes Zaheer Khan with 'I Love You' message during live match
- Your depressed better-half can make you sad too!