Harish Rawat finally gets CM`s post after narrowly missing out in 2012
Dehra Dun: Harish Rawat, who narrowly missed out being Chief Minister after Congress` victory in Uttarakhand in 2012, always had his heart in the politics of the state and had even rebelled when he was overlooked.
Rawat, who will turn 66 in April, was the front-runner to become Uttarakhand CM when Congress won the Assembly elections in 2012. However, the party high command appointed Vijay Bahuguna- known to be close to the Gandhi family- to the post. Rawat was made the Water Resources Minister in Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s cabinet.
However, many feel the Haridwar MP has now finally got his due. Congress losses in the Assembly elections in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Delhi recently led the party to do a rethink on Bahuguna ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
Rawat`s appointment comes at a time when Congress is trying to salvage its image in the hill state. Bahuguna, his critics claim, has failed to reach out to the people and his lacklustre performance in facing the aftermath of massive floods that ravaged the state has left the party embarrassed.
Having the reputation of a hard-working leader, Rawat was made a Minister of State for Labour and Employment in 2009 and later MoS for Agriculture and Food Processing Industries. In July 2011, he was made MoS for Parliamentary Affairs.
He was elevated to the rank of a Cabinet Minister in 2012 in an apparent bid to placate him after Bahuguna was made the CM.
Rawat had earlier served as a member of the Rajya Sabha from 2002-08. He won his first Lok Sabha election in 1980 from Almora by defeating BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi. He won the Lok Sabha polls in 1984 and 1989 as well.
Born on April 27, 1947 in Almora, Rawat started with local politics and rose through the ranks. He has a law degree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark