Heavy rains claim seven lives in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Heavy rains continued to wreak havoc in Uttarakhand where seven persons of a family were killed when the ceiling of their house collapsed in Chamoli district on Wednesday, while four persons were killed when a machine engaged in repairing a road fell into a ditch in Garhwal.
The house collapse incident occurred at about 3.30 AM in Dhikauna village when debris from the hillside including rocks and boulders where the house was located hit it under the impact of heavy overnight rains, Chamoli ADM Sanjay Kumar told a news agency over phone.
The dead included two women and three children. Five bodies have been recovered and efforts are on to extricate the remaining two which are still trapped in the debris, he said.
Senior officials including Chamoli District Magistrate SA Murugesan have reached the spot to supervise rescue operations, he said.
In another incident, four persons were killed and another injured when a JCB (earth moving machine) slipped into a ditch while repairing a road at Dwarikhal Development Block in Garhwal.
SDM Lansdowne PL Shah said the JCB was involved in debris removal in Ghandalu village when the incident took place on Monday evening.
Four persons, including the operator of the JCB, died on the spot while one person was injured and hospitalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal