Heavy rains claim seven lives in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Heavy rains continued to wreak havoc in Uttarakhand where seven persons of a family were killed when the ceiling of their house collapsed in Chamoli district on Wednesday, while four persons were killed when a machine engaged in repairing a road fell into a ditch in Garhwal.
The house collapse incident occurred at about 3.30 AM in Dhikauna village when debris from the hillside including rocks and boulders where the house was located hit it under the impact of heavy overnight rains, Chamoli ADM Sanjay Kumar told a news agency over phone.
The dead included two women and three children. Five bodies have been recovered and efforts are on to extricate the remaining two which are still trapped in the debris, he said.
Senior officials including Chamoli District Magistrate SA Murugesan have reached the spot to supervise rescue operations, he said.
In another incident, four persons were killed and another injured when a JCB (earth moving machine) slipped into a ditch while repairing a road at Dwarikhal Development Block in Garhwal.
SDM Lansdowne PL Shah said the JCB was involved in debris removal in Ghandalu village when the incident took place on Monday evening.
Four persons, including the operator of the JCB, died on the spot while one person was injured and hospitalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read