Heavy snowfall, rains in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: The hills of Uttarakhand received fresh snowfall on Friday with the popular tourist resorts of Mussoorie and Dhanolti coming under thick sheets of snow even as heavy rains accompanied by strong winds and hailstorms lashed the plains.
Dehradun received 62.4 mm of rain followed by Mukteshwar which received 48.4 mm of rain and Tehri 43.0 mm of showers, the MeT office said.
Pithoragarh (29.4 mm), Nanital (27.2 mm) and Pantnagar (15.4mm) were the other places lashed by rains, it said.
Incessant overnight rains and snowfall in the higher reaches followed by heavy showers and hailstorm in the morning led to a drop in minimum temperature at most of the places including Dehradun which recorded a minimum of 9.3 degrees Celsius, down from yesterday`s 10.6 deg C.
Mukteshwar which recorded a minimum of 3.0 degree C yesterday dropped to 0.7 deg C whereas the mercury in Tehri plunged from yesterday`s 3.4 deg C to 1.0 deg C today.
After a brief let-up in cold wave conditions in Uttarakhand, snowfall in the higher reaches and rains at most places in the plains yesterday had led to a sharp drop in temperature with the maximum in the city plunging by over seven degrees Celsius.
After Dehradun recorded the season`s coldest day over a week ago, the downtrend in temperature had come to an end with the maximum rising constantly over the past few days when it hovered around 20-23 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa