Heavy snowfall, rains in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: The hills of Uttarakhand received fresh snowfall on Friday with the popular tourist resorts of Mussoorie and Dhanolti coming under thick sheets of snow even as heavy rains accompanied by strong winds and hailstorms lashed the plains.
Dehradun received 62.4 mm of rain followed by Mukteshwar which received 48.4 mm of rain and Tehri 43.0 mm of showers, the MeT office said.
Pithoragarh (29.4 mm), Nanital (27.2 mm) and Pantnagar (15.4mm) were the other places lashed by rains, it said.
Incessant overnight rains and snowfall in the higher reaches followed by heavy showers and hailstorm in the morning led to a drop in minimum temperature at most of the places including Dehradun which recorded a minimum of 9.3 degrees Celsius, down from yesterday`s 10.6 deg C.
Mukteshwar which recorded a minimum of 3.0 degree C yesterday dropped to 0.7 deg C whereas the mercury in Tehri plunged from yesterday`s 3.4 deg C to 1.0 deg C today.
After a brief let-up in cold wave conditions in Uttarakhand, snowfall in the higher reaches and rains at most places in the plains yesterday had led to a sharp drop in temperature with the maximum in the city plunging by over seven degrees Celsius.
After Dehradun recorded the season`s coldest day over a week ago, the downtrend in temperature had come to an end with the maximum rising constantly over the past few days when it hovered around 20-23 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India