Hectic lobbying on in Uttarakhand BJP for party chief`s post
Dehradun: Hectic lobbying is going on within Uttarakhand BJP for the post of Pradesh party chief with the tenure of its current president Bishan Singh Chufal having come to an end last month.
About a dozen names are doing the rounds as contenders for the post but former MLA Trivendra Singh Rawat and ex MLC Tirath Singh Rawat have emerged as front-runners in the race, a senior party leader requesting anonymity said.
While Tirath Singh Rawat who comes from Sangh background has the backing of former chief minister Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Trivendra Singh Rawat has the support of another party stalwart and former CM Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
The party`s central leadership is in constant touch with the state party leaders and considering at least half a dozen names which could provide strong leadership to the party in the state in view of the forthcoming civic body polls next year and the 2014 general elections, party insiders said.
However, when asked whose chances are the brightest among the names doing the rounds, a highly placed party source said whoever manages to get the support of the three former BJP chief ministers of the state ie Khanduri, Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank will finally emerge as the next chief of the Pradesh unit.
The three former BJP CMs are looked upon as three pillars of the party and the next chief of the Pradesh unit who has to pilot the party in the next general elections must have their unstinted support, party sources said.
While Khanduri and Koshiyari have put forward their choices for consideration before the party`s central leadership, Nishank still holds his cards close to his chest, they said.
The central leadership will try to build a consensus among the three former party CMs before putting the final seal of approval on one candidate.
Other prominent names lobbying for the post are Mohan Singh Rawat "Gaonwasi", Naresh Bansal, Narendra Pal Rawat, Vinod Uniyal, Khajan Das and Ajay Tamta.
Though hectic parleys are on between state BJP leaders and central leadership with the latest having taken place at a city hotel a couple of days back with party national general secretaries Ramlal Agrawal and Saudan Singh, a consensus candidate for the post is yet to emerge.
However, the process is all set to be over by January 14, a party source said.
Election of the state party chief was put off twice recently, once due to the death of senior party leaders and former CM Nityanand Swami and a second time owing to Gujarat CM Narendra Modi`s swearing-in slated for tomorrow which is going to keep the party`s central leaders preoccupied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings