Hectic lobbying on in Uttarakhand BJP for party chief`s post
Dehradun: Hectic lobbying is going on within Uttarakhand BJP for the post of Pradesh party chief with the tenure of its current president Bishan Singh Chufal having come to an end last month.
About a dozen names are doing the rounds as contenders for the post but former MLA Trivendra Singh Rawat and ex MLC Tirath Singh Rawat have emerged as front-runners in the race, a senior party leader requesting anonymity said.
While Tirath Singh Rawat who comes from Sangh background has the backing of former chief minister Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Trivendra Singh Rawat has the support of another party stalwart and former CM Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
The party`s central leadership is in constant touch with the state party leaders and considering at least half a dozen names which could provide strong leadership to the party in the state in view of the forthcoming civic body polls next year and the 2014 general elections, party insiders said.
However, when asked whose chances are the brightest among the names doing the rounds, a highly placed party source said whoever manages to get the support of the three former BJP chief ministers of the state ie Khanduri, Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank will finally emerge as the next chief of the Pradesh unit.
The three former BJP CMs are looked upon as three pillars of the party and the next chief of the Pradesh unit who has to pilot the party in the next general elections must have their unstinted support, party sources said.
While Khanduri and Koshiyari have put forward their choices for consideration before the party`s central leadership, Nishank still holds his cards close to his chest, they said.
The central leadership will try to build a consensus among the three former party CMs before putting the final seal of approval on one candidate.
Other prominent names lobbying for the post are Mohan Singh Rawat "Gaonwasi", Naresh Bansal, Narendra Pal Rawat, Vinod Uniyal, Khajan Das and Ajay Tamta.
Though hectic parleys are on between state BJP leaders and central leadership with the latest having taken place at a city hotel a couple of days back with party national general secretaries Ramlal Agrawal and Saudan Singh, a consensus candidate for the post is yet to emerge.
However, the process is all set to be over by January 14, a party source said.
Election of the state party chief was put off twice recently, once due to the death of senior party leaders and former CM Nityanand Swami and a second time owing to Gujarat CM Narendra Modi`s swearing-in slated for tomorrow which is going to keep the party`s central leaders preoccupied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India