High-level inquiry into Rudrapur communal violence
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C
Khanduri on Monday ordered a high-level inquiry into the communal
clashes that broke out due to an alleged act of sacrilege in
Udhamsingh Nagar which left four people dead.
Khanduri visited violence-hit Rudrapur town to take stock
of the situation and ordered a high-level inquiry after nine
arrests were made in connection with yesterday`s incident.
He also announced a relief of Rs one lakh each to the kin
of those killed and ordered that the probe report be
submitted to the government in a week.
He said anti-social elements would not be allowed to
disturb peace and amity in the hill state.
"No untoward incident was reported today from any part of
the town. A strict vigil is being maintained in vulnerable
areas," SSP Udhamsingh Nagar G S Martolia said, adding Rapid
Action Force along with state police have been deployed.
Meanwhile, with two more persons succumbing to their
injuries, the toll rose to four.
An indefinite curfew was imposed in the area yesterday
after mobs torched five shops and scores of vehicles
protesting an alleged act of sacrilege.
"We will review situation tomorrow to decide on whether to
lift curfew partially," Martolia said.
As tension flared up, RAF personnel were flown from New
Delhi to control the situation.
At a high-level meeting at Rudrapur, Khanduri asked police
to identify those responsible for the clashes and take action
against them. The meeting was attended by Kumaon Commissioner
Kunal Sharma and DIG Kumaon Amit Sinha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you