High-level inquiry into Rudrapur communal violence
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C
Khanduri on Monday ordered a high-level inquiry into the communal
clashes that broke out due to an alleged act of sacrilege in
Udhamsingh Nagar which left four people dead.
Khanduri visited violence-hit Rudrapur town to take stock
of the situation and ordered a high-level inquiry after nine
arrests were made in connection with yesterday`s incident.
He also announced a relief of Rs one lakh each to the kin
of those killed and ordered that the probe report be
submitted to the government in a week.
He said anti-social elements would not be allowed to
disturb peace and amity in the hill state.
"No untoward incident was reported today from any part of
the town. A strict vigil is being maintained in vulnerable
areas," SSP Udhamsingh Nagar G S Martolia said, adding Rapid
Action Force along with state police have been deployed.
Meanwhile, with two more persons succumbing to their
injuries, the toll rose to four.
An indefinite curfew was imposed in the area yesterday
after mobs torched five shops and scores of vehicles
protesting an alleged act of sacrilege.
"We will review situation tomorrow to decide on whether to
lift curfew partially," Martolia said.
As tension flared up, RAF personnel were flown from New
Delhi to control the situation.
At a high-level meeting at Rudrapur, Khanduri asked police
to identify those responsible for the clashes and take action
against them. The meeting was attended by Kumaon Commissioner
Kunal Sharma and DIG Kumaon Amit Sinha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters