Himalayan Kumbh` to begin from August 17
Dehradun: Uttarakhand`s famous Nandadevi Raj Jaat yatra, which is held every 12 years, will begin this year on August 17.
Held every twelve years through the hill districts of Uttarakhand, the dates for the pilgrimage were announced here today after Chief Minister Harish Rawat held a meeting here to review preparations for it.
The pilgrimage will go on till September 3.
A sum of Rs 91.60 crore was also released to streamline arrangements for the pilgrimage, an official release here said.
Describing the yatra as the `Himalayan Kumbh`, Rawat said no laxity on the part of officials in preparations will be tolerated and asked the Public Works Department (PWD) to finish the pilgrimage related work by the end of June.
An experienced IAS officer will be entrusted with the responsibility of monitoring preparations for the yatra, Rawat said.
Apart from 25 stopovers enroute Nandadevi, new places should also be identified which can be connected to the route, he said.
Being held for the first time after the formation of Uttarakhand, Nandadevi Raj Jaat Yatra could not be held in 2012 due to "malemaas" (inauspicious phase) and in 2013 due to the June flashfloods which caused massive devastation along its route.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!