Homeless in Kedarnath valley to boycott 2014 polls
Dehradun: Kedarnath valley residents, who lost their houses in the June calamity in Uttarakhand, have threatened to boycott the 2014 general elections if the state government does not devise a proper rehabilitation policy and relocate them.
Peeved with the state government for not coming up with a concrete rehabilitation policy even after three months of the tragedy, residents have threatened to boycott the 2014 polls if they are not relocated soon in the plain areas or granted a special economic package to rebuild their lives, Ajendra Ajay, President of Kedarghati Visthapan Va Punarvas Sangharsh Samiti, said.
"Construction of 100 prefabricated houses for homeless in the area is just eyewash. It is state government`s ploy to get away from its responsibility of rehabilitating. Victims are looking for a firm rehabilitation policy to resurrect their lives and not for such piecemeal efforts," Ajay said.
He said his organisation will launch a signature campaign from tomorrow in support of its demand for proper rehabilitation policy for the victims.
"It is an irony that crores have been spent over resumption of prayers at Kedarnath but not a penny over providing shelter to the homeless," he said.
Ajay said homeless families are staying in makeshift tents in villages like Saemi, with approaching winters adding to their woes. 187 roads have still not been repaired and residents of the segregated villages are traversing long distances in difficult terrain to procure rations from Guptkashi and Ukhimath, he said.
"Winter is about to set in and we don`t know how we will deal with the biting cold as we have no roof overhead...Even compensation amount has not yet reached us," Yogumber Singh Negi, a victim, said.
"We want the victims to be relocated and rehabilitated properly but the state government does not seem to be serious about the issue," Rudraprayag Jila Panchayat member Vimla Rawat said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said the state government understood the pain of those who lost their homes in the tragedy. He raised the monthly rentals per family from Rs 2000 to Rs 3000.
However, Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt asked the government, what will the grieving families who lost their homes, schools and livestock do with this paltry sum.
On June 16-17 deluge left a trail of death and devastation in Uttarakhand with hundreds killed, over 4000 missing and 2,500 families rendered homeless all over the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?