Hundred Badrinath pilgrims await evacuation: NDMA
Dehradun: Rescue operations at Badrinath in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand have not ended yet, as about hundred pilgrims and 200 local people are still to be evacuated, a disaster management official said Wednesday.
"Still we have 100-odd yatris who need to be evacuated from Badrinath. The yatris have come from Dehradun, Nainital and Pithoragarh, and a lot of them claimed to have come to visit Badrinath," Vinay Kajla, joint advisor at National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), told a news agency.
Besides the yatris, there are about 200 residents of Mana village in Badrinath who are to be evacuated.
"There are about 200 villagers to evacuate from Mana in Badrianth, mostly women and children. The bridge has broken, so we will need to evacuate the yatris and locals people today (Wednesday) itself," Kajla told a news channel here.
The incessant and intense rains that hit Uttarakhand over three days from June 14 triggered flash floods and landslides, leading to hundreds of deaths, and hundreds have since been missing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference