Hundreds of bodies still lying in Kedarnath Valley: BJP
Dehradun: Dismissing the state government`s claims that Kedarnath Valley has been cleared of bodies, opposition BJP on Saturday said that even five months after the mid- June natural calamity in Uttarakhand, hundreds of corpses were lying inside dilapidated structures close to the shrine.
"Five months have passed since a calamity of catastrophic proportions hit Uttarakhand, but there are still hundreds of highly decomposed corpses lying in the buildings close to Kedarnath shrine," Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly, Ajay Bhatt, said in a statement here.
Accusing the state government of having lied to the nation that Kedar Valley had been cleared of corpses, Bhatt demanded the dismissal of the Bahuguna government for its insensitivity to a tragedy of such scale.
Bhatt demanded that a fresh combing operation be launched to find bodies in the Garurchatti and Junglechatti areas of Kedar Valley besides at the buildings on the left flank of the ancient shrine.
To substantiate his charges, Bhatt released recent photographs of what he claimed were decomposed bodies lying inside the debris of dilapidated structures near Kedarnath temple, although he pointed out that the state government alleges these photographs were either old or false.
"These photographs were taken by me on October 28 during my visit to Kedarnath... If the state government`s claim that these are old is proven correct, I shall retire from politics," he said.
Claiming he had apprised authorities concerned about the ground realities in Kedarnath, both orally and in writing, the BJP leader said the delay on part of the government in acting on those inputs underlined its indifference to the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31